The Walk for a New Spring has collected signatures on a Safe Communities Act Petition that will be brought to the Massachusetts State House in support of the legislation. Join us at Noon at the State House Steps and then come inside to meet with decision makers.
• 12 Noon – State House Steps where we will hold a “Speak Out Rally” for Sanctuary
Cities/ Sanctuary World.
• 1 pm – Meet with Constituents Services- Gov. Bakers Office.
• 1:30 – Visit Speaker Robert DeLeo’s Office
• 2 pm – Senate President Stanley Rosenberg’s Office
• 2:30 pm – Walk to Boston City Hall to deliver a letter of appreciation for Mayor Marty Walsh’s courage and leadership
The New England Peace Pagoda initiated a 28-day walk that started in Massachusetts on March 12, 2017 and will end in Washington, DC on April 8. It is open to all interested people. This is the 16th annual “Walk for a New Spring”, first undertaken after September 11, 2001. This year the call of the walk will be for “Sanctuary Communities, Sanctuary World”.
We have walked in many areas of Massachusetts and will conclude our journey in Washington DC to show active solidarity with immigrants, to honor the many people, faith communities and other communities and political leaders who are coming together across all lines to commit to sanctuary for our immigrant brothers and sisters.
We call also for a world free of the terrifying oppression of war and weaponry, domestically and internationally. Let the US begin our destined and true path of demilitarization and the building of a peaceful country.
We are asking communities and their legislators along our route, to support the “Safe Communities Act of Massachusetts (Senate #1596, House#3052), a bill that would:
• Ensure no State Support for a Muslim registry
• Ensures Basic Due Process Rights for People detained in State Local Facilities for Civil Immigration Violations
• Use Police Resources to fight Crime, not Separate Families
• Prohibit agreements with DHS that Deputize Local Officers as Immigrations Officers
The last day of the walking, April 5th in Washington, DC will culminate with a final procession to Capitol Hill, where our Western Massachusetts Congressman, Jim McGovern has reserved a room for the presentation on “Sanctuary and Demilitarization”. All senators, congresspersons will be invited along with their staff. We ask all people, both along our route and throughout the country to strongly invite their legislators to come to the presentation. We also invite all people who can, to please join us for the final day of walking, April 5th.
The New England Peace Pagoda is a Buddhist community of Nipponzan Myohoji Japanese Buddhist Order. The temple and pagoda is located in Leverett, MA. Contact: Tim Bullock – 413-485-8469 – email@example.com