The Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia – a country that has been responsible for the bombing of Yemen and its humanitarian crisis, the worldwide diffusion of a virulent form of Wahhabi Sunni Islam, the arming of rebels in various countries, and human rights violations in its own country – will be visiting MIT on or soon after the 10th of March. We call on all those who oppose militarism, war, and extremism to urge MIT to cancel this visit. If MIT doesn’t meet this demand, we call on you to to oppose this visit with us by protesting at MIT.
STOP U.S. SUPPORT FOR SAUDI ARABIA’S VIOLENT WAR IN YEMEN.
- Since 2015, Saudi Arabia has been intervening in the Yemen civil conflict and bombarding the country. This has caused the world’s worst humanitarian crisis– 8.4 million on the verge of starvation, over 1 million cases of cholera, over 5,000 deaths, and the destruction of Yemen’s cultural heritage. The US supports this war with intelligence, mid-air refueling, and arms sales.
MIT SHOULD RESCIND ITS INVITATION AND END ITS COLLABORATION WITH THE MURDEROUS SAUDI ARABIAN REGIME.
- It is inappropriate for U.S. universities to partner with institutions in Saudi Arabia’s military infrastructure. Call upon MIT to cancel the invitation it extended to Prince Salman and to cease its cooperation with Saudi defense and tech sectors. By collaborating with Saudi Arabia in those domains, MIT is betraying American values and abetting a regime that oppresses its own citizens and those of Yemen.
DEMAND THAT THE US GOVERNMENT CUT MILITARY TIES WITH SAUDI ARABIA
- The Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s visit to the United States this year will focus on “ways to continue advancing shared priorities, including enhancing security and prosperity in the Middle East.” This is a veiled way to have the two leaders discuss more weapons deals and more military cooperation. The US should end its military alliance with Saudi Arabia.
END SAUDI OPPRESSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES
- Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy in which women barely have any rights, where non-Muslims are considered second-class citizens, where Shi’a muslims are oppressed, and medieval forms of punishment are commonplace. It systematically targets ethnic, religious, and sexual minorities, and has consistently cracked down on journalists who attempt to bring these atrocities to light.
RALLY AGAINST US INVOLVEMENT IN INTERNATIONAL ATROCITIES
- The US continues to supply Saudi Arabia with sophisticated weapons and technology, such as fighter jets, precision guided munitions, and most recently, materials for its ongoing uranium-enrichment program. The U.S. has supported the brutal and authoritarian government of Saudi Arabia.
WHEN: Saturday, March 10 or later. Date subject to change based on MBS’ travel plans
WHERE: MIT at the park across from 77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge
WHO: Massachusetts Peace Action, Action Corps, Green-Rainbow Party, Veterans for Peace/ Smedley Butler Brigade (coalition in formation)
CONTACT: 617-354-2169, firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the link to the change.org petition against this visit started by Just Foreign Policy: https://www.change.org/p/mit-cancel-mit-visit-of-deliberate-famine-saudi-prince
Here is a sample tweet that you could retweet to support us:
@MIT Cancel visit from “Deliberate Famine” Saudi Prince. We are calling for a protest if you don’t. @ActionCorpsMA @masspeaceaction @medeabenjamin @BenjaminNorton Sign the Petition! http://chn.ge/2EVfhPh http://masspeaceaction.org/protest-saudi-mit/