- This event has passed.
Crisis in the Ukraine: Cold War? Civil War? Roots of the Conflict
Wed May 28, 2014 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm EDT
Mark Solomon, professor of history (emeritus), Simmons College
Gary Leupp, professor of history, Tufts University
President Obama in his April visit to Japan commented, “Mr. Putin has had an increasing tendency to see the world through a Cold War prism.” But there are many questions:
- is the US/NATO push into Eastern Europe after the collapse of the Soviet Union the real source of tension with Russia?
- Did the US government spend five billion dollars for democracy or regime change?
- Who are the fascists in the new Kiev government?
- Will sanctions isolate Russia?
- What is behind the conflict in Odessa and Eastern Ukraine and will it lead to civil war?
How should the peace movement respond to rising tensions between the two biggest nuclear powers and the US shift towards covert war? The UJP forum will examine these issues and possible action items.
sponsored by United for Justice with Peace