- This event has passed.
The World Is Over-Armed and Peace Is Under-Funded
April 14, 2018 @ 10:00 am - 1:30 pm
Walpole Tax Day Rally for Peace and Economic Justice
On Saturday, April 14, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., the Walpole Peace and Justice Group will hold a Tax Day Rally at the Gazebo on the Walpole Common. Rally speakers will address the destructive consequences of exorbitant military spending at the expense of human needs. Our keynote speaker will be Savina Martin, Eastern Chair of the Massachusetts Poor People’s Campaign.
We will be urging our elected leaders to:
- Address the widening gap between rich and poor
- Promote adequate funding for vital human services in the Federal Budget
- Stop the massive increases to the Pentagon Budget
- Halt and reverse the $1.7 trillion nuclear weapons upgrade funding, including “more usable” nuclear weapons
- Prevent U.S. wars against Iran, North Korea, China and other nations
- Support immigrant rights and human rights for all
- Oppose the increasing militarization of our borders and law enforcement
A 40-foot budget banner will be displayed, showing where the Federal discretionary budget is spent today. We will highlight how Walpole and Massachusetts are affected by Federal budget priorities. Our keynote speaker and representatives from local organizations will speak at 10:30 a.m. This rally is open to the public.
Our Rally will support the Global Campaign on Military Spending. The aim of the campaign is to push governments to invest money in the sectors of health, education, employment and climate change rather than military. The Poor People’s Campaign is a National Call for Moral Revival challenging our country on the evils of systemic racism, poverty, the war economy, and ecological devastation. The Poor People’s Campaign will launch with 40 days of moral action, from May 13th until June 21st, in at least 25 states and Washington D.C.
The Walpole Peace and Justice Group, founded in 1981, is a group of citizens committed to promoting peace and justice in the community and the larger world through education, study, witness, advocacy, and action. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.