Reducing the Threat of Nuclear War: Invest in Minds not Missiles
April 4 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
To attend please register at: minds-not-missiles-2020.bpt.me/
Morning Session – Room 6-120
9:00 am; Registration and Coffee.
9:15 am: Welcome and Introduction.
10:00 am: Current Dangers:
Destabilization from Nuclear Weapons Upgrades-Lisbeth Gronlund (Union of Concerned Scientists).
First Strike Risks – Prof. Elaine Scarry (Harvard University).
Dangers of an Inadvertent Launch – Prof. Max Tegmark (MIT, Future of Life Institute).
The Pervasive influence of the Nuclear Weapons/industrial complex – William Hartung (Center for International Policy).
11:00 am: Economic and Social Costs -Chair, Rosemary Kean (Mass Peace Action)
The Pentagon Budget – Subrata Goshroy (MIT).
Cuts in Federal Domestic Programs -Lindsay Koshgarian (Institute for Policy Studies).
Costs to Massachusetts Residents- Rep. Nika Elugardo (Mass. State Legislature).
Middles Eastern Devastation – Prof. Val Moghadan (Northeastern University).
Undermining of Civilian R&D – Prof. Jonathan King (MIT & Mass Peace Action).
12:00: Pick up Box Lunch and proceed to:
12:15-1:45 Workshops (panelists details below);
(A) The Military/Industrial Complex: (B) Back from the Brink/No First Use: (C) 2020 Elections: (D) NYC/UN Conference and the International Arena: (E) Campus Organizing: (F) Moral Budget for Massachusetts: (G) Climate and War/Green New Deal
Afternoon Session – Stata Center Room 32-123
2:00 pm: U.S. Representative Ayanna Pressley (invited);
Chair, Savina Martin (Poor People’s Campaign).
2:45 pm: Paths Forward – Chair, Jim Anderson (Peace Action of New York State).
Diplomatic Options with Iran and North Korea – Jim Walsh (MIT).
A Moral Budget for America – Savina Martin (Mass Poor People’s Campaign).
Better State and Federal Budgets -State Rep. Mike Connolly (Mass State Legislature).
The 2020 Elections – Andrea Burns (Our Revolution).
3:45pm: Senator Edward J. Markey (Invited)
Chair, Cole Harrison (Mass Peace Action).
4:30: Next Steps:
- Workshop Proposals:
- Back from the Brink;
- No First Use Summit;
- Presidential election initiatives.
5:00 pm: Adjourn
- The Military/Industrial Complex: Paul Shannon (AFSC); Dorothy Phillips (Coalition for PA, NJ); Peter X. Casey (MAPA Nuclear Disarmament Working Group); Subrata Ghoshroy (MIT).
- Back from the Brink/No First Use: Kea Van der Ziel (Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility); Jeff Hoey (NJ Peace Action); Jean Athey (MD Peace Action); Susan Mirsky (MAPA Nuclear Disarmament Working Group); Dennis Carlone (Cambridge City Councilor).
- 2020 Elections: Tony Palomba (Watertown Citizens for Environmental Safety); Arnie Alpert (New Hampshire American Friends Service Committee); Judy Elliott (New Hampshire Peace Action); Steve Powell (Elephant in the Room Project); Jivan Sobrinho-Wheeler (Cambridge City Councilor/ORMA).
- NYC/UN Conference and the International Arena: Joseph Gerson (Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security)); Sally Jones (PANYS); Jerald Ross (CPDCS); Jim Walsh (MIT).
- Campus Organizing: Caesar McDowell (MIT); Brian Garvey (Mass Peace Action); Matthew Ricci (Brown Students Against War); MIT Students Against War; Harvard for Bernie.
- Moral Budget for Massachusetts: Maryellen Kurkelos (Mass. Peace Action, Fall River); Dan Luker (Veterans for Peace); Michael Kane (Mass HUD Tenants Union); John Ratliff (Mass Senior Action); Savina Martin (PPC).
- Climate and War/Green New Deal; John MacDougall (350.org); Quinton Zondervan (Cambridge City Council and Green New Deal); Nick Rabb (Sunrise Movement); Timmon Wallis (Windmills not Warheads); Rosalie Anders (Massachusetts Peace Action Education Fund).
Special thanks to the Peter Norris Fund for additional support.