- This event has passed.
Nuclear Weapons Nowadays: What You Can Know and Do
Sat May 1, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - Tue May 4, 2021 @ 10:00 pm EDT
This FREE 4-session course is informative and fascinating!
Sign up now to take it either in MAY or in JULY 2021 (your choice of Tuesdays or Saturdays in either month).
We use Zoom video, so people everywhere take our course.
Please share this opportunity with your friends.
Scroll down to see the easy way to sign up.
The Cold War ended three decades ago, but nuclear weapons remain a threat to the world. Many recent and current actions by the U.S. government have sharply increased the danger of nuclear war in the “new cold war,” so now the “Doomsday Clock” is the closest to midnight it has ever been, since it was devised in 1953. Also, the U.S. is spending more on nuclear weapons than ever before – even more than at the peak of the Cold War!
However, most Americans do not want to think about nuclear weapons. This course provides necessary information for people who are new to the issue – and people whose knowledge is out-of-date. Much has changed recently, and dangers are increasing in several ways, but politicians and mainstream news media are failing to inform the public about what people need to know.
This 4-session course presents the serious information in a supportive environment and also lifts up some positive ways people can solve the problems. We go far beyond “doom and gloom” to actually empower people to support the solutions.
Four well informed people designed this course and trade off during the sessions so you’ll enjoy a mix of voices and areas of expertise. We designed this course of four two-hour sessions to help people regardless of how much they have known about nuclear weapons.
- the evolution of science that led to nuclear weapons
- how nuclear weapons – and the policies for using them – have changed over the years
- new dangers since the 2016 election
- impacts of nuclear weapons testing on innocent people
- decades of grassroots organizing to stop the arms race and abolish nuclear weapons
- international efforts to make nuclear weapons illegal, including the very exciting treaty which will soon come into force
- our own feelings and values related to nuclear weapons
- the power of nonviolent resistance
Nuclear weapons are frightening, but ordinary people can learn what they need to know and can take smart actions to reduce the dangers. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by hard, scary realities, this course helps people learn and also empower themselves to support the positive efforts that are happening at the global, national and local levels.
The course is presented by four well-informed persons from the Olympia WA area:
- Glen Anderson is chair of the Olympia Coalition to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (OCANW)
- Mark Fleming is the secretary of the Rachel Corrie Chapter #109 of the Veterans for Peace in Olympia
- James Manista is a peace activist who recently faced federal charges for resisting the Trident nuclear submarine
- Joanne Dufour has experience with disarmament issues including nuclear weapons, international humanitarian law, et. al.
We are volunteers who offer this course for FREE.
Here is how to sign up:
To take the 4-session course in MAY 2021, choose either:
- Saturdays: Pacific Time 10:00 a.m. (sharp) to 12:00 noon May 1, 8, 15 and 22. (If you’re in another time zone, please adjust for your local time (11am MDT; noon CDT; 1 pm EDT.)
- Tuesdays: Pacific Time 5:00 (sharp) to 7:00 pm May 4, 11, 18 and 25. (If you’re in another time zone, please adjust for your local time: (6 pm MDT; 7 pm CDT; 8 pm EDT.)
If you anticipate a conflict, please plan ahead to be sure you can attend the alternative. The first class of each session will be offered on Saturday, then repeated on the following Tuesday.
To take the 4-session course in MAY OR JULY 2021, please notify Joanne Dufour at email@example.com and provide the information below..
The presenters are offering the course twice a week during July 2021 as well, with the first class offering on Tuesdays, and repeated on Saturdays of the same week
- Tuesday classes are held from 5:00 – 7:00 pm (Pacific time) on July 6, 13, , 20 and 27;
- Saturdays: Pacific Time 10:00 a.m. (sharp) to 12:00 noon July 10, 17, 24 and 31. Please see the May schedule ABOVE for the times for each class in other time zones. If you’re in another time zone, please adjust for your local time
Whichever class you decide to join, please send Joanne Dufour an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with this subject line:
OCANW course on Nuclear Weapons. Or you may phone Joanne at (206) 550-1841.
Please provide your name, email address, home mailing address, and phone number. Specify whether you want MAY or JULY and whether you want TUESDAYS or SATURDAYS.
She will e-mail you the Zoom video link so you can join our course.
Also, we will e-mail each participant a number of readings and videos that flesh out the topics of each of the four class sessions. These are not mandatory but we do encourage participants to read at least some of the readings and watch at least some of the videos, because they do provide important information and insights.
We hope you will join us!