- This event has passed.
Boston March for Nuclear Disarmament (Park Street to State House)
January 22 @ 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The world has spoken: nuclear weapons are now illegal.
“The Boston Area Disarmament Activists and Students” is organizing an event on January 22, 2021 to celebrate the entry into force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), also known as the nuclear ban treaty. Comprised of members and volunteers from NuclearBan.US, Veterans for Peace, Food Not Bombs, and the Brandeis Students’ No War on Iran Campaign, we rally to call for support in the U.S. for disarmament and nonproliferation efforts, including support for the treaty which makes nuclear weapons illegal in 51 countries (and counting) starting January 22, 2021.
The group will gather at Park Street MBTA Station at the corner of Boston Commons to raise awareness regarding the nuclear ban treaty to the public. They will then march to the MA State House where they will gather to read out statements, letters, and testimonies calling for nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation.
Face coverings and following Massachusetts protocols regarding Covid-19 is a MUST. Please bring your own mask, hand sanitizer, and make sure to maintain physical distancing during all steps of the event.
Gathering at Park Street
- Welcome Message/ Intro to Nuclear Ban Treaty – Shaghayegh Christine Rostampour
- Volunteers hand out infomercials and copies of treaty
- Veterans For Peace Representative Reads Op-Ed on Nuclear Ban Treaty – Nate Goldshlag
- What It is Like to Live in Fear of Nuclear Warfare? – Mojgan Haji
3:30 March from Park Street to the State House
Gathering at the State House
- Why nuclear disarmament?/Recorded Testimony of Setsuko Thurlow, Hibakusha (Survivor of Hiroshima/Nagasaki atomic bombing) and leading ICAN campaigner
- Letter to President Biden – Zoe Lehner
- Letter to Massachusetts lawmakers – Aaron Cohen
- Nuclear weapons and their impact – Dr. Gordon Fellman, Professor of Sociology, Brandeis University
- Where do we go from here? (Networking, and discussing what actions can be taken under the framework of TPNW, as well as other arms control and nonproliferation legal regimes)
We are still waiting on invited speakers from various local NGOs, and grassroots groups.
We will update our plan as it changes. All plans will be finalized before January 20, 2021.