- This event has passed.
75th Anniversary of the Atomic Bombings – Deconstructing the Myths and Promoting a Nuclear Weapons-Free and Just World
July 13, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Monday, July 13, 2020: 7pm EDT
Join three extraordinary speakers as we build toward 75th anniversary commemorations of the
U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and promote a nuclear-free and just world.
* Sueichi KIDO, the General Secretary of Nihon Hidankyo, the Japan Confederation of A- & H-Bomb Sufferers Organizations
* Gar Alperovitz, author of the definitive book, “The Decision to Use the A-bomb”
* Rev. Liz Theoharis, Co-Chair, Poor People’s Campaign, Director of the Kairos Center for Religions, Rights and Social Justice at Union Theological Seminary
As people across the United States and around the work prepare to mark the 75th anniversary of the U.S. Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki – crimes against humanity that must never be repeated- leading nuclear disarmament and justice organizations have organized this webinar. Our goals are to:
* encourage actions across the United States and beyond in solidarity with the Japan Council against A- & H-Bombs “Global Peace Wave”
* counter the anticipated dishonest wave of propaganda that the A-bombings and sacrifices of the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were needed to end the Pacific War and save American lives
* build a movement that understands and opposes the illegitimate uses of State power, from police brutality and institutionalized racism, to foreign military interventions and continued preparations for nuclear annihilation.
To register for the webinar, click here<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MJH4SAYkS1CAeDOs6jrNaQ>
Sponsored by: American Friend Service Committee, Northeast Region; Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security, Peace Action, Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, United for Peace and Justice, and Western States Legal Foundation; with the support of Hidanyko and, Gensuikyo (Japan Council against A- & H- Bombs)